A tribute to Ruth Prawer Jhabvala...
1. For which two films did the recently deceased Ruth Prawer Jhabvala win the Academy Award for Writing Adapted Screenplay?
2. In which country was Ruth Prawer Jhabvala born and where did she settle down after her marriage?
3. Which Oscar-winner composed the music for Shakespeare Wallah?
4. The Ismail Merchant-James Ivory-Jhabvala partnership was inaugurated with which film, an adaptation of the lady’s own work?
5. Name Jhabvala’s Booker Prize-winning novel that was made into a film that had tabla maestro Zakir Hussain as an actor?
6. Jhabvala’s last screenplay was for a 2008 film based on a novel of the same name by Peter Cameron. Name the work.
7. Which actress, who won an Oscar for her role in Howards End, said this of Jhabvala’s writing: “…she understands the process, the ‘buzz of implication’ that surrounds words… Ruth understands it completely”?
8. Total trivia. How many screenplays did Jhabvala write?
9. Name the author of the 1989 Booker-prize winning book, adapted by Jhabvala for the screen, which was nominated for eight Oscars, including one for Jhabvala.
10. Who played the famous artist in Surviving Picasso?
1. Howards End and A Room with a View.
2. Germany and India.
3. Satyajit Ray.
4. The Householder.
5. Heat and Dust.
6. The City of Your Final Destination.
7. Emma Thompson.
9. Kazuo Ishiguro.
10. Anthony Hopkins.