Reliance Industries is looking at buying Petronas’ 11 per cent stake in Venezuela’s $ 20 billion Carabobo-1 project, a company official said on Tuesday.
RIL, which had in 2009 dropped out of the winning bid made by an ONGC-led consortium for developing the giant Carabobo-1 project, is “looking at taking over the participating interest of Petronas,” RIL senior vice-president Swagat Bham said at the Petrotech 2014 conference here.
The company was in 2009 supposed to bid with ONGC Videsh Ltd for one of the three giant oil blocks that Venezuela had offered through auction. It walked out of the consortium, possibly due to delays in bidding.
After RIL’s exit, OVL teamed up with Indian Oil Corp and Oil India Ltd and involved Repsol YPF SA, Spain’s biggest oil company, and Malaysia’s Petronas to make a successful bid for the massive Carabobo-1 project in the Orinoco heavy oil belt.
The field, which had about 50 billion barrels of proven reserves, can produce a minimum of 400,000 bpd of oil.
Petroliam Nasional Bhd, Malaysia’s state—run oil company, has decided to withdraw from the Carabobo-I project in August last year following dispute over terms with Venezuela’s state explorer Petroleos de Venezuela SA (PdVSA).
The stake was first offered to the partners, all of whom including the Indian consortium declined.
Besides RIL, Chinese firms too are said to be interested in Petronas stake.
Mr. Bham said RIL was looking at Petronas stake as well as other heavy oil upgrade projects in Venezuela for a possible participation.
Latin America, he said, was of interest to RIL and the company was also eagerly looking at opening up of exploration licenses in Mexico.
OVL, the overseas arm of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), has 11 per cent stake in the project while OIL and IOC hold 3.5 per cent each. Spain’s Repsol SA holds 11 per cent stake in the project while the remaining 60 per cent is with PdVSA.