Notebooks, netbooks fastest growing segement

The Manufacturers' Association for Information Technology (MAIT) on Wednesday said over 80 lakh personal computers were sold in 2009-10, registering a growth of 18 per cent over the last year, thanks to increased spending on IT products and improved consumer confidence. It also predicted that in the current financial year, PC sales would grow at over 16 per cent to cross 93-lakh units.

Releasing the findings of its ‘Industry performance review' for last fiscal, MAIT President Ravi Aggarwal said: “The impact of the global economic recession is now well behind us and the IT hardware industry in India is once again on a revival path. The year 2009-10 has indeed witnessed an excellent comeback by the Indian IT hardware market.''

In 2009-10, sales of desktops stood at 55.2 lakh units, registering a growth of 5 per cent, while notebooks and netbooks taken together recorded a consumption of 25 lakh units, growing 65 per cent over the last year.

Referring to the IT peripherals market, the MAIT report said in 2009-10, overall printer sales grew by 6 per cent to reach 17.2 lakh units, while the UPS market, led by the households, registered a growth of 53 per cent with 23.2 lakh units sold. However, sales of servers registered a decline of 15 per cent.

The report also pointed out that the number of active Internet entities crossed the one-crore mark in March 2010.

While the business segment accounted for 26 per cent of the total, households the remaining 74 per cent.

More In: Industry | Business