DTDC Courier & Cargo, on Tuesday, launched its specialised logistics company, DotZot, which, it claims, will be the first pan-India delivery network across 2,300 cities focusing exclusively on the e-commerce space.

Addressing a press conference, Sanjiv Kathuria, CEO, DotZot, and Director, DTDC, said, “e-commerce is a Rs.55,000-crore business in India with 90 per cent being in the travel category. The remaining 10 per cent is e-retail but it is growing at four times the travel category.” He said e-retail needed a focussed, different and innovative approach. “DotZot will be decisive for merchants who are looking at growing and retaining their e-powered customers.”

Abhishek Chakraborty, Executive Director, DTDC Courier & Cargo, said the strategic ambition of DotZot was to be a complete order fulfilment partner for e-retailers. “From warehousing to pick & pack, ship & deliver,” he said, adding, “in three years time, we are expecting revenues of Rs.100 crore from DotZot”. DTDC, a Rs.500-crore company, was the first courier company to go in for a franchisee network, and currently has over 6,000 franchises and a direct presence in 16 countries.

It acquired a company in the United Arab Emirates last year, and global business today accounts for 15 per cent of its revenues. “We will expand our international presence and look to go to those countries where there is more trade with India,” said Mr. Chakraborty

In terms of investment in DotZot, Mr. Kathuria said, “because of the established business of DTDC, the hubs, offices and infrastructure are already in place. Where we will invest is in the IT platform, processes and skill building for the dedicated team. So the investment will only be incremental.”

DTDC plans to double its business in three years, and is targeting a turnover of Rs. 5,000 crore by 2020. It moves four lakh shipments daily. Mr. Kathuria said “We want to move from being the biggest logistics company by volume to being the biggest by value.”

More In: Industry | Business