After successful completion of 3G spectrum auction, the Centre is planning to give radiowaves to private operators from next month, Union Minister of State for Communications and IT Sachin Pilot told journalists here on Friday. He also said a mechanism to tackle the menace of unsolicited telemarketing calls and SMS would be put in place.

“After September 1, 2010, 3G spectrum allocation will take place and services will be rolled out thereafter,” Mr. Pilot said, trying to allay fears of industry as well as telecom users regarding reports the defence establishment was yet to vacate spectrum. Notably, the government had fetched over Rs.67,000 crore in a fiercely contested 3G spectrum auction. As many as seven operators, including Bharti Airtel, Vodafone, Tata Tele and RCom have bagged 3G spectrum.

Referring to the problem of unsolicited calls and SMS by telemarketers, Mr. Pilot said in India it has become a menace, while it does not happen anywhere in the world. “Telecom operators and service providers had been categorically asked to stop the increasing menace of sending unsolicited calls and SMS. Department of Telecommunications and Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) have already held necessary consultations to put a complete ban to such calls,” he said. TRAI had already floated a consultation paper on curbing such commercial calls and messages in May this year.