Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Saturday, Oct 29, 2005

Andhra Pradesh
News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
Classifieds | Employment | Obituary |

Andhra Pradesh - Hyderabad Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

A responsive police working for people

K.Srinivas Reddy

Modern techniques have helped the Cyberabad Commissionerate become a role model

  • ISO certification for 26 of 34 police stations in commissionerate
  • Draft plan in place to use similar techniques across State

    TEAM EFFORT: Cyberabad Commissioner M. Mahender Reddy with his colleagues.

    HYDERABAD: The transition from being change-seekers to change- makers was not that easy.

    It took them nearly two years to introduce modern management techniques in policing and now with recognition coming their way with 26 of 34 police stations getting the ISO 9001:2000 certification, the Commissionerate of Cyberabad has become a role model police agency for different States.

    While the Andhra Pradesh police are drafting a plan to introduce similar techniques all over the State in a phased manner, Rajasthan, Haryana, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and West Bengal have evinced keen interest to replicate the experiment.

    Standard service

    Visits of police teams from other States to ISO certified stations to get a first hand account of the change management are very regular nowadays.

    What is so different about the ISO certified stations? "The whole effort is to provide service consistently at a given standard. We go on trying to improve the standards and ensure parity of service. Be it an influential man or a common man, they would get the same service," explains Cyberabad Commissioner M. Mahendar Reddy, chief architect of the change. The biggest achievement for the Cyberabad police personnel is that they have succeeded to a large extent in breaking the invisible walls that compartmentalised the police functioning so much so that they appeared to be unbreakable. They proved that change management might have been difficult but not certainly impossible. "This was possible after we redefined our role. The general belief is that the police are to take care of the criminals who constitute less than 2 per cent of the customer base (people). We made a very conscious attempt to bring the role clarity that our primary duty is to serve the remaining 98 per cent of people," explains Mr. Reddy.

    Regular meetings

    Mere redefining was not sufficient. To get the role clarity permeated down to the lowest level, meetings were held regularly. Simultaneously, the biggest task of redefining the core processes at the station level were formulated. The functioning of the police was divided into eight core processes; reception management, crime prevention and investigation management, community policing services, court and prosecution services, traffic accident prevention service, competency building services, patrol car services, police station management service, management review service and community policing service. Again, defining the work processes was followed by an intense exercise to devise Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in each service. The aim was to ensure standardisation of services, be it receiving a complaint or investigating a murder. After the SOPs were in place, then came the arduous task of ensuring that everyone followed them.

    For this inter and intra station reviews were taken up and after some 18 months, a perceptible change could be achieved. As the exercise continued, 26 stations got the coveted ISO certification.

    The Cyberabad police have now become a role model agency predominantly because their force have brought about the change, while others continue to talk about the change.

    Printer friendly page  
    Send this article to Friends by E-Mail

    Andhra Pradesh

    News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous | Engagements |
    Classifieds | Employment | Obituary | Updates: Breaking News |

  • Sivananda Orphanage

    News Update

    The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
    Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | The Hindu eBooks | The Hindu Images | Home |

    Copyright 2005, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu