Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Friday, May 28, 2004

About Us
Contact Us
News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous |
Classifieds | Employment |

Sport - Football Printer Friendly Page   Send this Article to a Friend

FC Porto adds one more trophy to its collection

GELSENKIRCHEN (GERMANY), MAY 27. FC Porto beat AS Monaco 3-0 to add a Champions League triumph to last season's UEFA Cup success on Wednesday and hand a farewell gift to coach Jose Mourinho.

The Portuguese champion seems certain to lose its talented young coach to Chelsea, whose chief executive Peter Kenyon was in the 52,000 crowd at the AufSchalke to watch the game.

``It is almost for sure my last match. We made history but I have to keep working and try to get success in my next step,'' Mourinho said minutes after collecting his medal and holding the most famous trophy in European club soccer.

``This is the best way to finish my career with Porto. In two and a half years we have won everything. I am very proud in what we did but the time to leave has arrived. You will find out in the next few days, I will decide everything.said Mourinho, who suggested England would his next move.

Mourinho said nothing about it during the buildup to the final but wasn't smiling after he stepped off the champion's podium and took his medal from his neck while players celebrated.

The result was never in doubt the moment teenager Carlos Alberto had given Porto the lead six minutes before half time. A 19-year-old forward preferred as a starter to South African striker Benni McCarthy, he fired home from 12 yards to give the Portuguese champion a 1-0 half time lead.

He was immediately given a yellow card for taking off his shirt in celebration.

Porto then began to play with confidence going forward but had some alarming lapses at the back.

But Monaco, with the competition's top scorer Fernando Morientes having an anonymous game, was unable to take advantage and conceded two goals in four second half minutes.

Russian substitute Dmitri Alenitchev provided the pass for Deco to score the second in the 71st and then taking a pass from Derlei to add the third in the 75th.

Porto also won the title in 1987 by beating Bayern Munich 2-1 in Vienna. But its run of recent successes now is two league titles in a row, a Portuguese cup, a UEFA Cup and a Champions League, all under Mourinho.

For Monaco coach Didier Deschamps, it meant he was unable to join the select band of stars to have won the title both as a player and a manager.

The man who led France to World Cup success in 1998 and a European Championship triumph two years later said his team's chances vanished when team captain Ludovic Giuly limped off after 23 minutes.

``It was not good news for us. Giuly is very important for our offensive style'' Deschamps said.

The game almost had a goal with little over two minutes on the clock.

Lucas Bernardi's through ball put Giuly in the clear but Porto's experienced goalkeeper, Vitor Baia, saw the danger quickly and raced out of his area to clear the ball off the forward's toe before he could shoot.

Monaco defender Nuno Valente was shown the yellow card for hauling down Edouard Cisse in the 29th minute as Monaco continued to look dangerous despite the absence of its captain.

At the other end, however, Gael Givet had to react quickly by heading the ball behind his own goal when Deco lofted a ball through towards Derlei.

The goal came in the 39th minute after Porto was awarded a free kick just inside the Monaco half.

Deco cleverly fed the ball down to Nuno Valente, whose cross was half clear. But the ball came back from Paulo Ferreira on the right and Carlos Alberto, with a defender behind him, turned to fire home.

With the lead, Porto played with confidence going forward but showing some alarming lapses at the back. Nuno Valente and Rodriguez were both far too casual under pressure from Prso and Jerome Rothen and could easily have yielded an equaliser. When Prso climbed above two Porto defenders to reach a cross from Patrice Evra he was unable to guide his header on goal.

But the nerves of the Porto fans were calmed when Deco and Alenitchev added two goals in four minutes.

After Morientes lost the ball deep in the Porto half, the Portuguese champions raced out of their own half and pulled the Monaco defence apart with a simple move. Derlei received the ball out on the left and pulled it back to Deco who was totally unmarked 15 yards in front of goal.

He steadied himself and drove the ball low and hard past Monaco 'keeper Flavio Roma.

Four minutes later, Roma was picking the ball out of the net again.

Derlei tried to thread a pass in from the left and it struck a defender before falling kindly to Alenitchev who had run clear of the defence. The Russian ran on to shoot past the 'keeper for the third, again right in front of the dispirited Monaco fans.

Morientes, on loan to Monaco after he was unable to get a place on the Real Madrid lineup, went into the final as the leading scorer in this season's competition with nine goals — two of them in the quarterfinal against his Madrid teammates.

But he didn't get close to adding to his total and made little impact on the game. — AP

Printer friendly page  
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail


News: Front Page | National | Tamil Nadu | Andhra Pradesh | Karnataka | Kerala | New Delhi | Other States | International | Opinion | Business | Sport | Miscellaneous |
Classifieds | Employment | Updates: Breaking News |

News Update

The Hindu Group: Home | About Us | Copyright | Archives | Contacts | Subscription
Group Sites: The Hindu | Business Line | The Sportstar | Frontline | The Hindu eBooks | Home |

Copyright 2004, The Hindu. Republication or redissemination of the contents of this screen are expressly prohibited without the written consent of The Hindu